For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
For the salad:
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small cucumber, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small tomato, chopped into 1-ince pieces
- ¼ cup pitted Greek olives (such as Kalamata), quartered
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the dressing:
Combine all of the ingredients and mix together well. Set aside.
For the salad:
Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing just before serving.
Greek Chickpea Salad
This Greek Chickpea Salad is packed with Mediterranean flavors, so delicious and easy to make. It's full of fresh veggies, creamy feta cheese, olives, and protein-packed chickpeas! Summery and refreshing, nutritious, and so tasty, it's a perfect healthy salad you can serve for lunch or bring to parties.
Summer is not kidding, guys. Temperatures are rising very high, very fast. That's why, for the last few weeks, I'm all about making easy lunches for my boys and me. I am definitely NOT in a mood to make anything too complicated that requires heath.
Easy healthy salads are, therefore, on our menu almost every day. Every week I try to follow some theme to make our menu more interesting. So two weeks ago, we had a Mexican inspired menu - boys loved my Black Bean Avocado Salad . And last week, we put Greek flavors on our plates. One of the salads I served was this Greek Chickpea Salad .
This greek style chickpea salad is just wonderful, in every way. It's easy to make - it requires a few simple ingredients and can be prepared in less than 15 minutes. Plus, it's super refreshing, loaded with wonderful Mediterranean flavors. So good! SO delicious! And very nutritious thanks to added proteins from chickpeas. It's a whole healthy and satisfying meal.
To make this beautiful, refreshing summery salad, you will need some fresh veggies, feta cheese, and chickpeas. Also, homemade greek salad dressing added freshness and so much flavor.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Thanks to the chickpeas, this salad will keep you full for hours. It's satisfying in a way that leafy greens never could be. Sorry not sorry, kale.
Canned beans are the real MVP
Canned beans are a real lifesaver when it comes to our favorite pantry staples. Each standard 15-oz. can comes packed with fiber and protein, providing a 1-2 punch of real affordable nutrition in the 30 seconds it takes to crack open a can, drain, and rinse. They can be eaten straight from the can, making this a very summer-friendly recipe on those hot, hot days when you just can't be bothered to turn on the heat. We know that this is a "chickpea salad", but you can totally switch out chickpeas for your favorite canned beans: creamy cannellini beans, black beans, kidney beans are all great options.
Make it your own
Our lemon-parsley vinaigrette is perfectly tart and fresh with a hint of spice and you can put it on everything. This means that if you want to switch out any of the salad ingredients for your preferred addition, you have our blessings. Not a fan of olives or bell peppers? Cherry tomatoes and diced ripe avocado will fill that flavor gap. Want to keep it dairy free? Sub in another form of protein in place of the feta, like a couple of hard-boiled eggs or a can of tuna, or a handful of chopped toasted nuts. If you have any extra dressing left over, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
If you've made this recipe, we'd love to hear from you&mdashleave us a comment and rating down below! Looking for more make-ahead or packable ideas? Check out our 40+ not-sad lunch ideas.
Steps to make Greek Chickpea Salad
Combine salad ingredients
In a large salad bowl, toss 2 cans of drained chickpeas with 1 pint of cherry tomato halves, 1 minced onion, 1 diced red bell pepper, 2 cups of small diced cucumber and ½ cup of chopped parsley until well mixed.
Add dressing and seasoning
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Toss again to evenly coat. Let the salad sit for 30 minutes before serving.
Top with feta, just before serving, if you wish!
You can find this Greek Chickpea Salad all over the Mediterranean and now in your kitchens too. Which is your favorite healthy spring salad? Let us know and contact us online using our hashtag #cookmerecipes in your own blogs and posts.
Dasha is an enthusiastic and cheerful mom. She knows as well as any parent that children can be really picky when it comes to food. And she’s had plenty of experience trying to cook meals that are both tasty and nutritious, and able to satisfy the tastes of a fussy kid right away! To save you some precious time, Dasha is going to share with you all the tricks she learned the hard way, so you don’t have to! She has a wealth of recipes for quick and easy meals for kids and families on a budget.
Easy and Classic Greek Salad with Chickpeas
You might have tried the traditional Greek salad, but you have you ever thought to add somemore ingredients? This mix is loaded up with chickpeas, red pepper, romaine lettuce. Then, there’s added cilantro, juicy tomato, cucumber, olives, and red onion, then topped off with feta cheese. You will surely love this Greek chickpea salad recipe!
Chickpeas are versatile they can go in absolutely anything! Sometimes known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are extremely popular in the Mediterranean diet. They fit perfectly in a salad such as this. I haven’t always liked chickpeas, I tried them once at someone’s house and didn’t enjoy the taste. But when I tried to cook them myself, I learned to love them. My mom never cooked with them, so they were never part of our home meals. Chickpeas are a good source of fiber, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. That makes this salad filling and great to serve as a main meal.
How to Make the Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This salad requires two prepping methods: chopping and mixing. It’s so simple even the least culinarily inclined of us can do it!
- In a large bowl add the cucumber, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, chopped spinach, chickpeas, artichokes and kalamata olives.
- In a small bowl, add the dressing ingredients: lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk until fully combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad mix and toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to marinate together. Don’t have time to wait? You can certainly eat this delicious salad right away!
- SO much better than a plain, boring chopped salad, but it still makes use of plenty of fresh vegetables. A great recipe to get picky eaters to eat more salad!
- Ready in less than 10 minutes! The perfect easy lunch or light dinner.
- Allergy friendly: naturally gluten free and vegan-friendly for everyone to enjoy.
- Meal prep friendly: this is our #1 make-ahead salad. It stores perfectly in the fridge and doesn't get soggy!
How to make it
The process of making this could not be simpler.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Set aside to dry slightly.
- Chop the veggies. You want the cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers to be pretty evenly sized. The olives can go in whole or halved, and the red onion should have a finer chop.
- Toss it all together! At this point you can refrigerate the mixture for a few hours if you’re working ahead.
- Make the dressing. This is a 30-second red wine vinaigrette situation that you can shake together in a jar. Don’t skip the oregano—it makes the other flavors sing!
- Pour on the dressing and add feta and herbs when ready to serve. That’s it!
I’m always craving chickpeas, it’s my favorite legume and I just can’t get enough! I toss them in any salad I eat for added protein. Some chickpea salad recipes on rotation in my house, this Greek Chickpea Salad which is great for meal prep, this easy Chickpea Egg Salad and this Chickpea Tuna Salad.
With summer cucumbers and tomatoes in season, I make this salad all the time. It’s a great side dish to bring to a BBQ, picnic or backyard gathering, simply double (as pictured here) or triple the recipe.
The best part about this salad is it takes just a few minutes to make, and because it uses canned chickpeas, there’s no cooking.
Make Ahead + Storage Recommendations
- Make ahead. This salad is great to make several hours in advance of serving it because it gets tastier over time. You can also mix the vinaigrette together up to 3 days in advance, and store it in the refrigerator.
- Storing leftovers. Store leftover salad in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Before serving again, give it a good stir and taste + season again as needed.
I hope y&rsquoall LOVE this salad as much as my family does! It&rsquos:
Quick + Easy
& Super delicious
It makes for a tasty lunch to pack along for work or enjoy for dinner when you&rsquore craving something fresh, yet satisfying. It&rsquos wonderful on its own, but it also pairs well with a variety of entrees.
I especially love bringing this along to serve at gatherings, like summer barbecues or pool parties. When there&rsquos lots of yummy desserts and other heavy dishes to chow down on, it&rsquos nice to have a healthier alternative too.